Container Class and other Folder properties

Dec 15, 2010 at 6:48 AM

I have a pst file created with Outlook 2007. I have been exploring folder properties of various 'Special Folders' and user created folders by dumping the property bags for all folders. I have two observations with my test pst:

1. The special folder 'Deleted Items' should have PR_CONTAINER_CLASS value of IPF.Note, according to [MS-OXOSFLD]. However I do not see with my Outlook 2007 generated .pst. In fact the property does not even exist for my Deleted Items
  2. Ditto for the Outbox special folder

My questions are:

1. Why am I seeing this deviation from the documentation?
  2. According to [MS-OXOSFLD] many of the sync related folders also have IPF.Note as their container class. If I have a pst with such folders (is that even possible), what container class value will I really see? 
  3. Can I progamatically identify all the sync related folders (other than by checking for some of the standard names)?
  4. How is it possible to create a folder (through Outlook) that contains objects of more than one type (like Deleted Items, which can store deleted mails, contacts, notes, etc.?
Dec 16, 2010 at 9:11 PM

1. Probably because the documentation is imperfect, or these requirements are not as strong as you think

2. No, there are no sync related folders in the PST

3. You mean like "Sync Issues", etc? I think the entry id is stamped on the root folder or something, but I'm not really sure.

4. The Container Class is more of a hint to the UI as to how to interpret the folder (what view object to create, etc) rather than a hard and fast rule about what type of items can be in a folder. The UI (Outlook.exe) also uses it as a hint for creating new items when dragging and dropping into a folder.